The Future of Work’s Transformative Shift
Driven by the rapid advancements in technology and the rise of automation, the future of work is undergoing a transformative shift. As industries across the nation are beginning to embrace artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning, it is critical for jobseekers to prepare themselves for the changing career landscape.
By embracing lifelong learning, developing transferable skills, and cultivating an adaptable mindset, candidates and jobseekers alike can position themselves for career success. Read more as we explore strategies and give insights that will empower you to thrive in the ever-evolving world of work.
How to Future-Proof Your Career
1. Embrace Lifelong Learning.
Lifelong learning is defined as the self-motivated pursuit of knowledge for personal or professional reasoning. There are endless benefits of lifelong learning for jobseekers and career professionals, such as enhancing job prospects and gaining the ability to pivot into a new career field at any time.
To remain competitive in the face of automation, embracing lifelong learning is critical to career success. Continuously upskilling and reskilling yourself will equip you with the knowledge and career competencies needed to adapt to emerging job trends.
2. Develop Transferable Skills.
Hiring managers and recruiters are in search of candidates who continue their professional development by obtaining a broad range of knowledge, skills, and career competencies. It is recommended that jobseekers identify transferable skills in high demand within their respective industries, specifically those that are likely to remain relevant in the face of automation.
Examples of transferable skills:
- Analytical Thinking: Besides creative thinking, a jobseeker’s ability to think analytically is critical as candidates with this transferable skill can solve complex problems and produce innovative ideas.
- Communication: The ability to successfully exchange information amongst team members is critical to on-the-job success.
- Good Leadership: With the rise of emerging technologies, the workplace will appear quite different than what it is today; hiring managers and recruiters may look for a candidate’s ability to take on leadership roles to tackle challenges and develop solutions.
Investing the time and effort in developing these skills will allow for you to remain competitive in the ever-evolving job market. Check out our resources available to help you gain and develop these skills at the end of this article.
3. Cultivate an Adaptable Mindset
Change is inevitable. Cultivating an adaptable mindset allows you to accept and respond to change by believing in the ability to learn, grow, and improve over the course of your career. The ability to adapt is a critical skill to nurture throughout your career as you become more exposed to new technologies and stay on top of industry trends. Being adaptable requires you to be:
- Open to feedback.
- Embrace change.
- Be comfortable with uncertainty.
Embrace the Opportunities that Lie Ahead.
The future of work is an exciting and dynamic landscape shaped by automation and emerging technologies. Embrace the opportunities that lie ahead and be proactive in shaping the future of your career.
If you would like to learn more about the topics discussed in this article, sign up for an IBM SkillsBuild account.
- To check out some coursework related to the transferable skills outlined above click the following links: analytical thinking, communication, and leadership. To learn about artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning, and some of the tools which have made their way to the public access, such as ChatGPT and Bard, then check out this learning plan about AI. If you would like to learn more about job search strategies, personal branding, and more, join us for free career advice at YUPRO’s Jobseeker Bootcamp. Our bootcamp takes place each month with 45-minute trainings held Tuesday-Friday from 1:00-1:45 PM ET/ 10:00-10:45 AM PT via Zoom. Register here to take the next step in your career search journey!
- Embrace lifelong learning.
- Develop transferable skills.
- Cultivate an adaptable mindset.